Tuesday, April 1, 2008

...and we're back!

Good afternoon ladies!! Hope you all had a great break... I know we've been back for over a week, but I'm sure you would agree that it has been a bit stressful jumping back into the middle of the semester. The work is piling!

So, today on the subway I finished reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, a fictional narrative by Zora Neale Hurston. Hurston began to gain recognition during the Harlem Renaissance, and this book was the first significant feminist novel in Afro-American tradition. With that said, I leave you with a particularly beautiful quote that struck me while reading- it is the main character's response to a derogatory comment made by her husband:

"Naw, Ah ain't no young gal no mo' but den Ah ain't no old woman neither. Ah reckon Ah looks my age too. But Ah'm uh woman every inch of me, and Ah know it. Dat's uh whole lot more'n you kin say."

Cheers to that! I hope as young ladies we can all aspire to have the same attitude someday.


P.S. If you haven't already, read Hurston!

No comments: